Spandrel paintings in Lincolnshire


Friskney, Lincolnshire, originally uploaded by Vitrearum.

Friskney, Lincolnshire

Lincolnshire is not known for its medieval panel paintings, but recently I came across these two naive censing angels at Friskney in the Lincolnshire marsh. They are painted on the eastern spandrels of the fifteenth century nave roof and my guess is that they acted as part of the rood composition above the chancel screen. They are virtually invisible from the ground, but with a six second exposure I got this result. In the bay to the west of this are the remains of an Annunciation, but it has fared rather badly in comparison.

Comments

Anonymous said…
These are marvelous - thank you for discovering and documenting them.
Allan Barton said…
I was glad to find them. The church is rather dim and with the naked eye they are barely perceptible from the ground. I think they required something like a 6 second exposure to get anything.
I would love to see more images of this church. We visited England this past summer in hopes of getting info on my great grandfather who was baptized in this church. The church was locked unfortunately and I was only able to get a photo from the outside, street side. You do awesome photography!

Popular Posts